Sunday, May 20, 2007

Opie & Anthony ‘Suspension” a Hoax? Part 3.

Some more thoughts came to mind from the responses to the previous articles.

First, one reader wrote this:

I just read your theory and I wanted to say I agree. I started thinking something like this might be happening around Wed. afternoon. Everything you said is quite possible. If they are just messing with us, I'll be even madder than I am now. I hate to be cheated (by XM) but I hate to be duped (by O&A) even worse. I will surely cancel my XM subs of I find out for sure this was a planned stunt.

And another reader wrote:

Even though you article had some good points in it. I would have to disagree with two of them. The studio is still being used by Ron and Fez. So suspending them for that purpose doesn't make sense because it is still being used. I personally think they were suspended to try and get the merger approved. They wanted to show the government that they will try and control what is said over their service. I don't agree with it, and thought the suspension is stupid. I haven't cancelled my XM yet, I'm waiting to see if they do come back and broadcast on XM. If they don't I will cancel it, sign up with the doggie company, and send e-mail to who ever voicing my opposition to the merger. If they are allowed back on, I don't care about the merger.

I was thinking that another scenario could be that Opie and Anthony had nothing to do with it, that they are just unwilling pawns in the radio chess game. Or have a minor role. Or maybe just Opie and E-Lo are involved and Anthony, Jimmy and the rest are in the dark. XM could have suspended them just to help the merger along, all the while never intending to fire them. Why would they fire their #1 show? That would be just plain stupid. Opie and Anthony may have been told, ‘If you keep quiet on CBS about it, we’ll have you back on in two weeks. Just enough time to let it blow over and bring you back on early due to overwhelming response against the suspension” I’m sure the suspension won’t last a month, nor will they get fired.

Something else came to mind, Opie said that it would be great if people would openly laugh at the reason they get eventually get fired for. Isn’t that what kind of happened? Didn’t XM suspend an uncensored show for content? How crazy is that? Didn’t it make you laugh in disgust? Also, on Friday’s show, Opie did the ‘thank you thank you thank you….etc’ thing a couple of times. That makes me think that they may be coming back sooner than 30 days. XM can’t take the hit for a full 30 days. But they will need time to get all of the subscribers back on board. A week is more than enough time. And I’m sure there will be an announcement of a special deal for returning to XM (free month and free reactivation is my bet).

If any of this is true, I’m sure you’ll be pissed off, but you’ll be back. Don’t you want to see what they’ll do next? Isn’t that why you listen to them in the first place? They do outrageous stuff. It’s what keeps you coming back for more. It’s Radio Crack. If it is a big stunt, I’d be pissed, but I’d also laugh uncontrollably.

Or everything could be as it seems: The boys made a boo-boo and are paying for it. If that’s the case, then free speech really is dead.